Children Hair CareShiny hair is a sign of health because the layers of the cuticle lie flat and reflect light. When the scales of the cuticle lie flat they overlap tightly, so the inner layers are well protected from heat, sun, chlorine, and all the other hazards that can come from living in our environment. When hair is damaged, though, the scales may separate and hair can become dry. Because the scales on dry hair don't protect the inner two layers as well, hair can break and look dull.
People with dry, curly hair have different hair care needs than people with straight, fine hair. But all hair needs to be treated gently, especially when it's wet. Wet hair can stretch, making it more vulnerable to breakage or cuticle damage. That's why using a hot blow-dryer (or other heat styling products) on very wet hair can damage it. Long, high heat causes bubbles to form in the hair shaft, which causes them to break easily.
Some people find that their hair gets oily in their teen years. That's because the hair follicles contain sebaceous glands that make sebum, which moisturizes the hair and skin. During adolescence, the sebaceous glands may become overactive due to hormone changes during puberty, producing more oil than needed. As with acne, oily hair is usually a temporary part of puberty. If your hair is dry, it's a good idea to wash it less frequently. Some people only need to wash their hair once a week and that's fine. Many people who have curly hair also have dry hair. Curly and dry hair types are usually more fragile than straight hair, so you'll need to be especially careful about using heat styling products. Shampoos made for dry hair and hair conditioners can help.
The hair of a baby is very fine and very fragile. It is easily worn off the back of the head just from laying in the crib. This is one reason you need to be very gentle (and patient!) Only use a soft baby brush or comb. Never use an adult brush on the babies head as it can damage the scalp and break off the hair easily. If cradle cap is a problem, use oils specifically to soften the affected area for easy removal. Never pick it off as this causes sores on the head and hair could come out as well.
Children's hair needs cleansing and conditioning regularly. No tears products are important to reduce trauma that may be associated with washing. There are a many hair products especially formulated for children's hair and more are arriving every day! Be sure to wet down hair thoroughly and apply conditioner before swimming in chlorinated pools to prevent damage. When washing and conditioning, use a conditioner that is lightweight on the hair but avoid the scalp. Sea Critters makes a great leave in detangler for kids!
Trim the hair first at about a year. Hair grows by about one half inch per month and grows at a faster rate in the spring and summer than in autumn and winter. Even if there isn't much hair there, just have the very tips trimmed by a stylist. The tips are a different texture since they were the first to grow from the scalp. After that about every 6-8 months will do. Only the very ends at this time. Don't worry about any particular style and getting the hair all one length - that will come later. Do not cut bangs into the hair! Once hair reaches the collar, it can be evened up around the perimeter into a bob. From there minimum maintenance is required to keep it growing.
The Problem with Bangs
Cutting in bangs will cause problems as the hair becomes longer. Hair tends to have a natural growth pattern of straight forward on young children. Don't be tempted to cut bangs to "keep it out of the eyes" because the hair in her eyes will eventually cover her ears. How often do you see children with the back long and the sides thin and short? This is because bangs were cut. Don't even do it once because they become more difficult to grow out as the hair texture changes.
Styling while growing hair out
Use only terry cloth pony tail holders on the hair. They don't hold as well as bands, but this fragile hair can show breakage easily from other types of pony tail holders. While the front and top are growing out, gather the hair into a topknot. It can be off to the side, straight up, or adorned with ribbons and bows.
Provide well balanced diet for kids
When you have growing kids at home, plan a well balanced diet for the whole family. Try to add a lot of vegetables and fruits in your regular diet daily. In order to have hair growth in kids faster, provide them protein rich food. You can also give them food items that are rich in iron and calcium too.
Eating for healthy hair
• Adding certain foods to can actually promote hair growth and give children the nourishment their bodies need.
• Peanuts, corn, and spinach contain Vitamin E, which stimulates hair growth.
• Folic acid, found in foods like asparagus, peas, citrus fruits, and turkey, will help promote hair growth by strengthening strands so they don’t break off prematurely.
• Drinking water four to six glasses a day will keep hair hydrated.
• Vitamin B produces keratin, a protein that strengthens strands. Found in bananas, whole-grain cereals, rice and eggs.
• Dairy products like skim milk and yogurt as well as broccoli and strawberries–are great sources of calcium, an important mineral for hair growth.
• Regular trips to the salon for routine trims are another trick that keeps hair healthy.
Children Hair Care Tips:
• Wash hair with a mild shampoo. As soon as they are old enough teach them how to shampoo and rinse their hair.
• Untangle hair before washing. With a wide tooth comb start at the bottom of the hair and work your way up. If there are problem tangles and rats, spray with a good detangler.
• Encourage your child to comb or brush their own hair. If hair is wet use a comb to minimize hair breakage.
• Routine is imperative. By instilling proper hair grooming at a young age a parent is creating life long habits for their child. Habits that will help them become more confident.
• Perhaps it's because my dad was a barber and my mom a beautician that I grew up knowing it was a requirement to comb my hair. And that I had to come to the table with my hair combed, with hands and face cleaned. These are just basic grooming tips that can have lifelong effects.
Myotcstore Related Products:
Loreal kids extra gentle 2-in-1 hair shampoo, burst of watermelon - 9 oz
Rainbow Research Spray Detangler For Kids, Original Scent - 8 oz
Soft and Beautiful Just for me hair texture softener - Kit
Little remedies cradle cap lotion, paraben free - 4 oz