Tangerine Health And Nutritional BenefitsTangerines, also known as mandarin oranges, are a tasty and refreshing citrus fruit packed with many nutritious compounds, including flavonoids, vitamin C, vitamin A, folate and potassium. . It is a citrus fruit high in vitamin C, and pectin, which is known to increase the beneficial microflora in the gut. These healthful components contribute to the health of all parts of the body, from cell DNA to the bones and heart. Tangerines are comparable to oranges, but pack even more vitamin A and iron, and slightly less vitamin C.
Tangerines are loaded with compounds called flavonoids, which boast certain anticancer properties. The flavonoids in tangerines have been shown to prevent the growth of cancerous cells and stop the proliferation of tumors. Flavonoids are antioxidants that neutralize free radicals -- unstable, disease-causing molecules and have the potential to also protect against the development of heart disease. Flavonoids may also promote better blood flow in the coronary arteries, prevent arteries from forming blood clots and stop the oxidation of “bad” cholesterol in the body, a risk factor for many dangerous heart conditions.
Vitamin C and Vitamin A
One medium-size tangerine contains 23.5 milligrams of vitamin C, a potent antioxidant that also fights free radical damage. Vitamin C is crucial to the synthesis of collagen in the body, which helps heal wounds and hold together tendons, ligaments, bones and blood vessels. Vitamin C also aids absorption of the iron in foods, helping the body retain more of this essential mineral. One tangerine also contains 599 International Units of vitamin A, a group of retinoids linked to immune function, vision, reproductive health and communication between cells.
A medium-size tangerine packs 14 micrograms of folate, a B vitamin with many important functions in the body. Folate helps form and maintain the health of new cells in the body by building DNA and RNA, making folate an especially crucial vitamin during periods of rapid growth, such as pregnancy and infancy. Adequate folate consumption also helps prevent DNA changes that could lead to cancer. Folate is essential in the production of red blood cells in the body.
Potassium, a mineral found in quantities of about 146 milligrams in a medium-size tangerine, impacts all organs, cells and tissues of the body. This mineral is necessary for proper functioning of the kidneys, muscles, nerves, heart and digestive system. Potassium is also essential for bone health, even helping fight osteoporosis later in life. Adequate potassium intake may prevent high blood pressure and lower the risk of stroke.
The Essential Oil of Tangerine is extracted by cold compression of its peels and contains alpha pinene, alpha thujone, beta pinene, camphene, citronellal, gamma terpinolene, geranial, limonene, linalool, myrcene, nerol, sabinene and terpineol as its chief components. Again, like mandarins, tangerines also hold a place of significance in the Chinese culture and their herbal medicines.
• Natural antiseptic properties which help in protecting the body against the most dreaded bacteria, staphylococcus aureus that is responsible for spreading severe infection throughout the body. Tangerine essential oil contains an important component that acts against the bacteria and therefore helps to cure the sepsis. The oil can be consumed orally and also used as a topical application on open wounds.
• The fruit is also helpful in relieving body spasms and pains Spasms not only affect the muscles, but also the nervous system, digestive system and respiratory system. Tangerine fruit promotes soothing effect on the nerves and relaxes spasms.
• Effective cytophylactics i.e they enhance cell division and promote new cell formation. They help in repairing all the external wear and tear of the body organs.
• These fruits are blood purifiers and therefore used as depuratives. They help in eliminating the unwanted and toxic substances like extra salt, uric acid, water and pollutants from the body. It enhances the body’s capacity to possess oxygen in red blood cells, thus purifying the blood.
• Tangerines promote relaxation to the tired nerves and calm the fevered brows. It removes all the hyperactivity and inflammations in the body. It also has sedative properties, thus helps in treating allergic reactions, stress, anxiousness, paroxysms, poison and fever. It also helps to calm down anger and sedates depressive disorder.
• It also aids in keeping the stomach in good condition and is considered as a stomachic. It assists in establishing flow of digestive juices and maintains acid and bile levels in the stomach, thus curing all stomach problems.
• Tangerine essential oil is very beneficial which boosts metabolism, aids proper body functioning, helps decomposition and nutrient absorption.
• Tangerines help in development and growth, promotes endocrinal secretions of enzymes and hormones and aids in proper excretion.
• Tangerines help one to stay active and alert by toning up the nervous system. It helps to keep the infections at bay by boosting up the immune system.
Citrus fruits, as such, have long been valued for their wholesome nutritious and antioxidant properties. It is scientifically established that citrus fruits, especially oranges, by virtue of their richness in vitamins and minerals, have many proven health benefits. Moreover, it is now beginning to be appreciated that the other biologically active, non-nutrient compounds found in citrus fruits such as phyto-chemical antioxidants; soluble and insoluble dietary fiber is helpful in reduction in the risk for cancers, many chronic diseases like arthritis, and from obesity and coronary heart diseases.
Blending: The Essential Oil of Tangerine blends fine with the essential oils of bergamot, cinnamon, clary sage, clove, frankincense, lavender, nutmeg and neroli.
Myotcstore Related Products:Source Naturals Magnesium serene, Tangerine and fruit medly 800 mg - 17.6 oz
Emergen-C joint health formula fizzy drink mix, Tangerine, 30 ea
Nature's Baby organicss vanilla tangerine hair conditioner and detangler, 16 oz
Natures Alchemy Tangerine Pure Essential Oil - 0.5 oz
Celestial Seasonings Caffeine Free Tangerine Orange Zinger Natural Herbal Tea - 20 Bags