Acne Pore and Spot TreatmentsAcne, as we know, is caused by excessive secretion of sebum by the sebaceous glands, which results in clogging of the skin pores. Bacteria, dead skin cells and dirt can get easily trapped inside such clogged skin pores, which can cause infection and the development of acne and pimples. Acne can be treated by herbal remedies as well as with over the counter and prescription medications.
First of all, one has to understand his or her skin, its requirement and the type of acne. The best acne treatment can vary depending on whether the skin is sensitive, dry or oily. Again, the treatment for mild or moderate acne can vary significantly from the treatment for a severe acne breakout. Some acne treatment products contain ingredients that can destroy the acne causing bacteria, while others address the issues like presence of excessive oil or sebum on the skin and clogged skin pores.
Active Ingredients in Acne Treatment
1. Benzoyl Peroxide: Benzoyl peroxide is one of the most important active ingredients in acne treatment products, that works well for moderate and severe acne. It basically works by destroying the acne causing bacteria and removing the dead skin cells. The over the counter benzoyl peroxide preparations are usually available in 2.5 to 10% strengths. However, benzoyl peroxide can make the skin dry and more sensitive to ultraviolet radiation. Apart from these, scaling, redness and minor swelling of the skin can occur, occasionally. Therefore, it is usually not considered suitable for sensitive skin. But benzoyl peroxide can be very effective for oily skin, as it removes excess oil from the skin. Some well-known acne treatment products that include this compound are, Proactiv, Benzaderm Gel, Neutrogena On-the-Spot and Clearasil.
2. Salicylic Acid: Salicylic acid is another important ingredient of acne treatment products, that mainly unclogs the skin pores by stimulating exfoliation of the dead skin cells. It can effectively treat mild acne and is not harsh on the skin. However, it can cause a mild tingling sensation on the skin. It is usually available with 0.5 to 2% salicylic acid. Some possible side effects of salicylic acid are, skin dryness, peeling and increased sensitivity to sunlight. Some good quality acne products with salicylic acid are, Noxzema Anti-Acne Gel, Noxzema Anti-Acne Pads, Clearasil Clearstick, Stridex and Neutrogena Acne Rapid Clear Daily Treatment Pads.
3. Sulfur and Resorcinol: Sulfur and resorcinol are usually included together in acne products. They help to remove excess sebum or oil and dead skin cells in order to unclog the skin pores. They can also destroy the bacteria responsible for causing pimples. Sometimes, one can experience peeling, redness and dryness after using sulfur and resorcinol containing acne products. Examples of sulfur and resorcinol containing acne products include, Clearasil Medicated Blemish Cream, Clearasil Medicated Blemish Stick.
4. Alcohol and Acetone: Alcohol and acetone are mainly found in astringents, toners and cleaners. These are basically used to remove dirt and excess oil from to prevent clogging of skin pores. Hence, they can be very effective for oily skin. However, individuals with dry skin can experience excessive skin dryness after using alcohol and acetone based acne products.
5. Retin-A - helps unplug blocked pores. Retin-A contains Tretinoin, an acid from of vitamin A, also known as all-trans retinoic acid (ATRA). Tretinoin is also used for the treatment of acute promyelocytic leukemia. Retin-A has been used widely to combat aging of the skin, it also acts as a chemical peel.
Apart from these ingredients, some products found to contain alpha hydroxy acids, too, can stimulate exfoliation of dead skin cells to treat acne. The best treatment is the one that can treat acne without causing much side effects. It would depend on the type of skin and the severity of the breakout. For mild acne, salicylic acid based acne products can work satisfactorily, while for moderate to severe outbreak, benzoyl peroxide containing products can be required. However, for sensitive skin, use of benzoyl peroxide is usually not advisable. But, benzoyl peroxide as well as alcohol and acetone based products are considered good for oily skin. Usually, it is better to try a mild product initially to treat acne, using the higher strength products only when required. If you experience any kind of reaction like skin irritation, redness and inflammation after using any acne product, then do not forget to inform your dermatologist at the earliest.
Home Remedies You Should Try
Eating at odd hours, poor food choices, not enough physical exercise, excess of starches, sugar, and fatty foods are the main causes of acne. Along with this, chronic constipation can also be blamed for the occurrence of pimples. The toxic matter gets soaked in the bloodstream, causing acne on face, because our body is trying to eliminate the excess waste. But you don't have to get worried about these issues, as there are many remedies.
1. Take the juice of fresh lemons or limes and apply it directly over the acne scars. Use a clean cotton ball and not your fingers to do this. Your skin will soak the juice completely. Wait for about 10-15 minutes and then wash your face with lukewarm water. Lemon juice for acne spot treatment helps in lightening the darker appearance of the blemishes.
2. Take sandalwood and rosewater in a bowl to mix them into a paste. Use the facial mask and apply it directly on the acne spots. Make sure you have washed your hands thoroughly before you apply the mask. Leave it on for an hour or wear it overnight. Wash your face with cool water and pat dry with soft towel. Both the ingredients in this mask give a cooling and soothing effect over the scars, hence, they work effectively as acne spot treatment.
3. Crush handful of mint leaves in a bowl and rub the leaves and its juice over the affected area. Leave it on for 10 minutes and wash your face with cold water. This is one of the best remedies for if you have painful, inflamed pimples.
4. Take one serving of plain oatmeal and cook it in the same manner as if you were eating it. Add about ¼ cup of honey and mix the ingredients properly. Let the mixture cool down and apply generously all over your face. Leave the mask on for 15-20 minutes and then wash with lukewarm water. Oatmeal helps absorb excess oil from the skin and exfoliates it. Honey is another wonderful acne spot treatment, because it works like a skin toner.
5. Cut the entire aloe leaf from the plant, slit it down the middle, and let the yellow latex drain. Although, the latex is beneficial in other treatments, using it for acne spot treatment is not recommended. Use cold water to rinse the gel and apply it over the spots. Make sure the gel doesn't enter the eyes. You can store the gel in an air-tight container and refrigerate it for a week.
Using manuka honey for acne has also been proven beneficial. These were just some of the home remedies you can try. If any of these treatment suggestions don't work for you, consult a dermatologist for further advice.
Using Pore Minimizing Products
Home remedies are all very well, but if they are ineffective you need to use some cosmetic products. From scrubs, purifying masks to serums and lotions, there are many products that can help in minimizing the appearance of enlarged pores. Some of the key ingredients that you should look out for in a pore minimizing products are; Nordihydroguaiaretic acid, Methyl methacrylate, Calcium carbonate, linseed extract, chestnut extract, lemon extract and orange extract. Here are some of the best.
Clearasil Adultcare acne treatment cream, tinted - 0.65 oz
Derma-E very clear spot blemish treatment clear skin - 0.5 oz
Neutrogena Oil Free Acne Stress Control Power Cream Face Wash - 6 Oz
Benzoyl Peroxide 10 Percent Aqueous Base Acne Gel - 90 Grams
Asepxia Acne Pore Spot Remedy Lotion - 4 oz
In addition to these homemade face masks for reducing pores, you can also try incorporating some preventive measures that can help minimize pores and eliminate rashes and breakouts as well.
• The best way to get rid of ugly enlarged pores is by sticking to a proper cleansing routine. Wash your face everyday or even twice a day with a mild cleansing soap or a face wash, especially if you use makeup. This will help unclog pores by removing dirt and allow the skin to breathe. Do not make the mistake of going to bed without removing your makeup.
• Exfoliating and toning the skin helps remove dirt and grime off your face while reducing the appearance of pores and tightening the skin. Using mild exfoliaters containing salicylic acid is one of the best way of sloughing off the dead skin cells trapped in the pores, while toning helps in constricting the pore size.
• Use a sunscreen with a minimum SPF of 30 to avoid the pores appearing larger than they are.
• Moisturize your skin daily, even if you have oily skin. In case you have an oily skin look for oil-free, gel based moisturizers.
Remember that most of the home remedies and skin care products will not have instantaneous results unlike the microdermabrasion and cosmetic procedures. However with regular use and some patience you can achieve smooth flawless complexion.
Myotcstore Related Categories:Acne and Blemish Care
Acne prone skin Moisturizers
Acne Scrubs and Masks
Acne Wash and Cleansers
Astringents and Acne Toners