Benefits And Uses Of Body Talc and PowdersAs natural skin care products go mainstream, many people are becoming more educated about the ingredients they are putting on their skin. People are concerned over parabens, phthalates, synthetic colors and talc just to name a few. Even though talc has been controversial in the past, the cosmetic-grade talc used in many natural skin care products is 100% safe.
Talc powder is a very popular cosmetic product that is made from finely-pounded talc. This is a naturally occurring, extremely soft mineral. Talc was used as a cosmetic product but there are numerous other makeup products in the market today. It is now used more as a moisture absorber. One of its most common uses is in baby care, with some parents using it to reduce rashes and irritation from diapers. It can also be used on adults to prevent chafing and rashes, and some people have come up for creative uses for this product, like sweeping it into the cracks of wooden floors to prevent them from squeaking. Most baby powders are made of pure corn starch and are gentler on the skin than talc powder is.
Talc is a soft mineral found in nature and talcum powder is made from this natural mineral. Talcum powder is one of the most common cosmetic products that are used for several purposes. In fact, talc is the main ingredient in baby powders. Talc powder, also known as talcum powder is primarily a cosmetic product. It can be used all over the body and helps in sweat absorption. It also has a fragrance and is helpful in reducing body odor. Many adults use it to prevent rashes or chafing. Talcum powder also keeps the skin dry and leaves you feeling fresh throughout the day. This also reduces the chances of a rash breakout and is very comfortable to wear in the hot weather. It is not just women who can use it for daily use. Athletes can also use it before they suit up for their sports events.
Talcum Powder Uses
Talcum powder is best known for its effectiveness in preventing skin from chaffing due to heat, moisture or friction. It is used successfully to prevent sores from developing on bed-ridden people by forming a thin barrier to keep skin from becoming raw from constant contact or rubbing on bed sheets. To make a bed seem cooler for sleeping, sheets can be sprinkled with powder.
There are various things for which talcum powder is used. It is primarily used to draw in moisture. This keeps the skin clean and dry. However, it should not be confused with a disinfectant, as it does not have antiseptic attributes. Most talcum powders come in various fragrances. Their texture is the same, no matter what brand it is. The fragrance helps to fight the odor of sweat in hot and humid days. By large these powders are white in color. The fragrance of these powders varies with the change of the target audience. The ones that are specifically marketed for women have floral and fruity fragrance. However, those that are targeted for men have a stronger aroma. At times, they smell like colognes.
It can also be used under the arms to contain sweating. It absorbs sweat and helps in reducing sweat production on areas such as the underarms, neck, back, thighs and legs as well. The fragrance also helps in masking any body odor that one may be suffering from. Keep in mind that talc powder is very fine and it can be inhaled very easily. If you are asthmatic, you might want to avoid using this product. Some people are allergic to some ingredients in the powder and they should abstain from using it as well.
Some other uses of talcum powders are rather interesting. Athletes use it all over their body before suiting up. This restrains sweating and irritation caused by tightly fitted clothes. Women apply it in their inner thighs to avoid chafing, while they dress up in skirts. Some people are seen applying a coat of talcum powder on carom boards to make it smooth. This helps the striker and the lighter disks to move smoothly. Use of this substance between rubber sheets enables to keep them separate; otherwise rubber sheets stick to each other.
Health Benefits Of Body Talc and Powders
1. Kids products: Talcum powder is one of the common products used by parents to reduce rash and irritation caused by diapers. As this product is a moisture absorber, it helps to keep the skin dry. This is especially important in the case of babies who are prone to develop rashes from urine. So, using talcum powder not only minimizes the risk of rashes, but also increases comfort in hot weather.
2. Moisture absorbent: Talcum powder is mainly used to keep the skin dry as it helps to absorb moisture. It helps to reduce skin irritations caused due to excessive sweating in hot weather conditions.
3. Prevent chafing: Talcum powder is used by athletes to prevent chafing and reduce excessive sweat. It helps to relieve the discomfort caused due to excessive heat. It is also used by women to prevent chafing between the thighs.
4. Bedsores: It is used by invalids to prevent bed sores and skin irritations. Thick skin tends to harbor moisture and germs which can be prevented by using this powder.
Other Benefits of Using Talc
1. Carpets and clothes: It can also be used on carpets and clothes to reduce or remove stubborn stains. Apply the powder and wait for some time, the powder absorbs the grease and stains can be removed easily.
2. Ant infestation: It also helps to reduce ant infestation to a large extent. Sprinkle the powder around the house. Cover small openings, cracks in the floor and walls with talc to prevent ants.
3. Bed sheets: It can also be used on bed sheets during summer seasons to avoid perspiration and discomfort. It helps you to sleep in comfort and prevents excessive sweat.
4. For Pesky Ants: Troubled with ants' infestation? Get some of this powder, and sprinkle it around the foundations of the house. Look out for openings, crevices or paths which the ants trod upon, and then cover them with the powder. Blowing your old books with some talcum powder protects them from mildew.
5. Unknotting: Use of talcum powder is not limited to cosmetics. The product is also used for a variety of other purposes. One common example is using the powder to untie a hard knot of a shoelace and to untangle jewelry chains too.
6. Squeaky Stuffs: If you are bothered with squeaky floorboards, then do not be anymore. Just sprinkle some powder on the noisy area and let it do its work to cut down the friction and finally the squeak.
However, it is quite harmful to inhale talcum powder as it can cause serious lung damage. Doctors recommend powder with cornstarch base which is one of the best and cheap alternatives to your regular cosmetics.
Best Body Powder
Choosing the best body powder depends upon a person's age, history of allergic reaction, and why the body powder is being used. If the body powder is being used due to profuse sweating, a person will generally benefit from one that is highly absorbent. Typically, body powder containing cornstarch is very effective in absorbing moisture from excessive perspiration. In addition to this, body powder that contains cornstarch can reduce or eliminate odor caused by perspiration.
Talc powder is one good option. Today, the quality of talcum powder has improved drastically and you can get very high quality products that have mild to strong fragrances. You can pick one that suits your skin the best. Many of these products also have natural ingredients and better base materials in them.They soothe the skin and keep you feeling fresh and dry all day. As a matter of fact, talc is a natural material that is also used to make baby powder which is a milder version of the talcum powder that is used by adults.
Talcum powder is a very fine talc version. Talc is a soft mineral that is derived from magnesium silicate. It has astringent properties, constricts the surface tissues on your body and creates a certain amount of dryness on the skin. Keep in mind, that a good talc powder will keep your skin dry but will not dry it out. Apart from this, talc is also very absorbent. It protects the skin and reduces friction. These properties help adults deal with sweating issues. Baby powder too has the same effect but in a much milder manner. Both, baby powder and regular talc powder can be used over the entire body.
If a powder is needed to counteract the effects of excessive foot sweating, an absorbent foot powder may be helpful. Some foot powder formulas also include anti-fungal properties that can reduce the risk of athlete's foot. Symptoms of athlete's foot includes redness, itching, and irritation. This condition can be contracted by walking barefoot in locker rooms, health clubs, or swimming pools. To reduce the risk, people should always wear foot coverings, such as flip-flops, when in these areas.
Sometimes, a body powder containing perfumes and other chemicals can cause an allergic reaction. To avoid this, choosing a body powder that is hypoallergenic and perfume and dye free is prudent. Typically, allergic reactions to dusting powder and perfumed body powder cause rash, itching, and skin redness. Pure cornstarch can be an effective alternative to body powders, and in most cases, it is safe to use for someone who has sensitive skin or allergies.
Baby powder is typically gentle on the skin and many versions contain cornstarch as their primary ingredient. Baby powder is a good choice for those who don't want a heavy perfumed powder and who want a powder that is appropriate for sensitive skin. People who enjoy highly scented powders might prefer to use perfumed dusting powders. In addition to being highly scented, dusting powder usually is packaged with a large powder puff, making it easy to dust large areas of the body at one time.
For people who are concerned that talcum powder could be harmful, there are talc-free products with a similar function on the market. Most of these products are made with cornstarch, and in fact some people just use straight cornstarch, skipping the perfumed and ornately packaged version in the natural baby products aisle.
Myotcstore Related Products:Cashmere Bouquet Body Powder, Classic Floral - 10 oz
Emeraude dusting powder for women by Coty - 4 oz
Gold Bond ultimate comfort body powder, charmomile - 10 oz
Shower to Shower Absorbent Body Powder, Morning Fresh with lavender - 13 Oz
Summers Eve Body Powder Sporty Fresh, Stay Cool - 9 oz
Ammens medicated powder, original formula - 11 oz