Skin MoisturizersSkin moisturizers are lotions or creams applied on the face and body to counter issues. These cosmetics are mixtures of chemical agents, specially designed to hydrate the external layers of the skin. They makes the face softer and flexible by increasing its water content or hydration levels and reduce evaporation. These moisturizers also prevent the formation of dry skin, protect normal skin by keeping it moist and improves skin imperfections. There is only one problem with this wonderful concept, there are too many options and it becomes difficult for the buyer to choose the best one.
The most important part of any facial skin care routine is moisturizing. A good moisturizer not only leaves the skin feeling soft, but also provides valuable protection against environmental damage. Selecting a moisturizer can be challenging as not all moisturizers are suited for all skin types. Some of us have dry skin while others have oily skin and some have combination skin. While selecting a moisturizer, it is very important to take into consideration your skin type.
Moisturizer for Various Skin Types
Moisturizers are meant for maintaining the hydration level of the skin, without which the skin will lose its natural glow, suppleness and softness. Generally, there are four skin types - dry, oily, combination and sensitive skin. As each type of skin requires different level of hydration, the type of moisturizers for face needed are different. Let us understand each skin type and the moisturizers required for them:
1. Dry Skin: Dry skin is one of the most common skin types found. There are several causes for dry skin, from excessive exposure to sun's radiation, to wrong skin care products, to medications. Dry skin lacks moisture, thus, making the skin tighten around the muscles and making it painful and red, so increasing the need for a moisturizing face cream. While choosing a moisturizer for dry skin, it is best to select a cream based moisturizer. A cream based moisturizer possesses a thick texture that hydrates the skin without leaving the skin oily. The other option for moisturizers containing lactic acid or glycerin are also useful for dry type of skin
2. Oily Skin: If your face is shiny and greasy even after washing, then you have oily skin. Oily skin is the result of high levels of sebum production in the body and because of this, oily skins are more prone to breakouts and acne. Many people have this misconception that people with oily skin do not need moisturizer for face, but it is not so, oily skin also requires moisturizing as much as any other skin type. It is best to choose moisturizers that do not contain animal fat, vegetable oil or mineral oil, that is, oil free moisturizers. Opt for face moisturizing lotions that are water based or gel based.
3. Combination Skin: Combination skin type can be oily, normal or dry all at once, or at random. The best option is to care for a combination skin with a varied skin care routine. The best face moisturizer for oily skin is an oil based moisturizer when the skin is dry, a water based gentle moisturizer when the skin has an oily texture, and if the skin is showing both skin types, then use an astringent before an oil based moisturizer.
4. Sensitive Skin: When it comes to sensitive skin, the choices for moisturizers for face are limited because not a lot of products suit this kind of skin. So, it's best to go in for natural face moisturizers that contain vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E, zinc for keeping the skin hydrated and revitalized. For best face moisturizers for sensitive skin, select one that is fragrance free and hypoallergenic, that is, does not contain any harsh chemicals. Also, for this skin type it is advised to use face creams or moisturizers for face only when needed.
Skin Care Tips:
1. Regular use of skin moisturizer can reduce premature aging and skin damage.
2. Daily use of skin moisturizer softens skin which are sometimes caused by the exposure to the weather.
3. Regular use of skin moisturizer can help boost skins defense system and improve the skin metabolism.
4. Skin moisturizers help reduce wrinkles and fine lines.
5. Skin moisturizers help keep improve skin tone and restore to a more youthful glow.
6. Skin moisturizers with sunscreen protection helps support the natural defense against Ultra Violet rays and collagen breakdown.
7. Skin moisturizers reduce the harmful effects of stress and pollution.
Tips on applying skin moisturizer
1. Apply moisturizer after bath in th morning and at night before going to bed.
2. Choose a water based moisturizer for oily skin.
3. Choose cream based moisturizer for dry skin.
4. Choose a hypoallergenic moisturizer for sensitive skin.
5. Aside from the face, apply moisturizer on elbows, knees, legs and other areas that are extra ordinary dry.
6. Choose moisturizer that has sunscreen protection to prevent from harmful UV rays.
7. Choose moisturizer that contains Vitamins A and E.
Maximize the use of moisturizer on your face by massaging in circular motions. If your skin type is oily avoid massaging your face too much to prevent excess oil. Look for the brand of moisturizer that fits your skin and lifestyle to keep a youthful glow.
Natural Ways to Keep Your Skin Beautiful
1. Keep your skin clean, but never use commercial soap on your face. Most commercial bath soaps are really detergents. Buy handcrafted natural soap. Nowadays you can find handmade soap in drugstores and supermarkets as well as in health food stores.
Or use brown sugar for a gentle scrub that will clean but not dry or damage your skin: take a teaspoon of brown sugar in your damp hand and gently rub it all over your wet face and neck. The grains roll any dirt or grease out and the minerals in the dissolving sugar clean and nourish your skin. This is best done in the shower.
For oily skin and acne, you may use the sugar scrub twice a week. People with dry skin may do this once weekly. Those with delicate or damaged skin should not scrub, but should wipe their face with a soft cloth soaked in warm herbal tea or oatmeal water: 1 tsp. oatmeal in 1 cup water - boiled briefly, strained, and applied warm, not hot.
2. Treat your skin to a stimulating mask with once a week. Mix1 tablespoon honey with 1 tablespoon mashed avocado, banana, or finely-grated apple. For oily skin, add 1 tablespoon yogurt or Keir and a thick slice of cucumber. For very dry skin, blend 2 tablespoons almond, jojoba, or good olive oil with 2 tablespoons mashed fruit – avocado is especially good.
Apply to face and neck . Sit down with your feet up for 20 minutes. The mask will dry and you will feel it tighten. Rinse off carefully with warm water and pat your skin dry. Again, this is most practical just before a shower.
3. Use only warm water on the skin, never hot. Hot water dries the skin out and makes wrinkles. Forage for skin-friendly flowers to make a tonic facial rinse: purple mallow flowers, orange marigolds, yellow sow-thistle flowers and all yellow wild flowers except for mustard. Pick the flowers in season (now is the time in the Middle East) and dry them for future use. If that’s not realistic for you, use chamomile tea bags or buy your herbs from the health food store.
4. As Tafline pointed out, drinking enough water is essential to flexible, healthy skin. Boost your water power by drinking at least one cup of demulcent tea made with one of these wild herbs: plantain leaves, mallow leaves, hollyhock leaves, chickweed. Ratios are 1 tablespoon chopped herb to 1 cup boiling water. Cover and allow to infuse for 20 minutes. Strain and drink.
5. Eliminate regularly. Lack of sleep, a hangover, or constipation inevitably lead to dingy skin. One advantage to the herbal teas recommended above is that they provide slippery demulcent properties that soothe the digestive track and keep you regular.
6. Apply Coconut Oil daily: Coconut oil is an effective moisturizer on all types of skins. Coconut oil therefore is a safe solution for preventing dryness and flaking of skin and unlike mineral oil, there is no chance of adverse side effects. Coconut oil can also help in treating skin problems including psoriasis, dermatitis, and eczema.
Myotcstore Related Products:Flexitol Naturals Skin Nourishing Oil - 2.1 oz
Derma-E very clear problem skin moisturizer - 2 oz
Avalon organics vitamin C rejuvenating oil free moisturizer - 2 oz
Olay Complete Defense Sensitive Skin Moisturizer, SPF 30 - 2.5 oz
Neutrogena Rapid Wrinkle Repair Moisturizer, SPF 30 - 1 oz
Garnier Nutritioniste ultra lift anti wrinkle moisture cream, 1.6 oz