Shaving and Hair RemovalShaving for hair removal has benefits such as being affordable and convenient. As it usually requires little skill, a person does not have to pay a professional or schedule an appointment. The drawbacks of shaving for hair removal, on the other hand, include the risk of hair bumps and infection. The fact that shaved hair returns fairly quickly is a good thing for some but a drawback for others.
One of the benefits of shaving for hair removal is affordability. Although an individual may prefer a more expensive shaving tool, there generally is one that will do the job and that is within his budget. It can be argued that the cost of cheap shaving tools used throughout a lifetime may result in substantial expense. Although this is true, it is often more feasible for people to pay smaller amounts over an extended period than to pay a lump sum for an alternative hair removal method.
Another benefit of shaving for hair removal is that it can be done fairly quickly. As shaving generally does not involve sophisticated tools or special skills, individuals can do it themselves. This makes it a very convenient hair removal option because it can be done without leaving home. Some other methods will require an individual to find a service provider and a time that both he and the professional are available.
For many people, the motive for removing hair is to improve appearance. One of the drawback of shaving for hair removal is that it often involves creating another problem with appearance - razor bumps. Depending on the tool used, a person's ethnicity, and the area shaved, this may become a very bothersome skin care issue.
Yet another drawback is that shaving can raise sanitation issues. If shaving implements, such as disposable razors, are not properly cared for, there is a risk of infection, such as staph. Electronic shaving appliances may also expose individuals to infectious organisms, especially when they are shared but not properly cleaned after each use.
Shaving for hair removal produces short-term results. The hair readily returns and must be removed again and again. For some individuals, this is good news because they may only want to remove hair temporarily. For example, a man may want a bald head only for a particular event or time frame. For others, this is less appealing because they may want to be without hair for an extended period but will be required to constantly remove it.
Different Hair Removal Methods
Shaving is quick, easy to do, and also inexpensive. Most men shave on a regular basis with a razor or an electric shaver. A razor is better, as it gives a close shave and is more comfortable. An electric shaver does not give a close shave, but does prevent ingrown hair or cuts, which are more likely while using a razor. Within a few days of shaving, the hair does grow back in quick time, so it's not used to permanently remove facial hair.
Waxing, is a time-consuming and extremely painful method of facial hair removal. In waxing, sticky wax is applied on the desired part, with a strip of paper placed on it. The paper strip is then pulled off in one quick movement. Hair removed by this method does not grow back quickly, as waxing removes the hair from its roots under the skin surface. Waxing has a few side effects like rashes, infection of the hair follicle and certain allergic reactions, and is therefore not a widely preferred option except for the eyebrows.
3. Precision Tweezers
Precision tweezers are used to remove hair from certain delicate area like the nose, ears or eyebrows. One can easily remove unwanted hair from these areas using precision tweezers. It is always better to use a pair of precision tweezers having a pointed tip to pluck hair accurately.
4. Facial Hair Removal Cream for Men
Facial hair removal cream for men, also known as chemical depilatories, can also be used to remove facial hair. These facial hair removal creams contain various chemicals like calcium hydroxide and sodium, which dissolve the hair follicles without affecting the roots. Thus, it is effective only in removing hair from the surface and it generally takes a few days for the hair to grow again. These creams are easily available in the open market. The facial hair removal cream for men, do sometimes cause certain allergies and side effects. It is always better to apply the cream on some other body part to check if the skin burns, and then apply it on the face. Make sure to apply it, only if there is no burning sensation.
5. Laser Hair Removal
Laser hair removal is undertaken for permanent hair removal. A fairly modern method, the hair follicles are destroyed using laser beams. The laser beams are attracted to the hair because of melanin, a pigment brown in color, which gives the skin and hair its characteristic look, burning down the hair follicles. This method is suitable for people with black facial hair, as white hair lacks melanin.
Another method for permanent hair removal, electrolysis, is the oldest method for removing facial hair, and has been in use for about 130 years. A needle or probe is inserted into the hair follicles and then electric current is passed through this needle, which destroys the cells responsible for hair growth. The electrolysis process is a rather lengthy one and requires multiple sittings. However, electrolysis is a cheaper option for permanent facial hair removal as compared to a laser hair removal treatment.
Before applying any chemical substances or opting for permanent facial hair removal, it is better to consult a dermatologist, to check if the skin is allergic to certain chemicals. Also there are various salons which help in removing the hair, where one can go to.
Shaving Tips for Men
Though men have been shaving their beards since time immemorial, some of them just can't seem to get it right. No matter how hard they try, they seem to end up with a cut here or there, ingrown hair, and uneven hair removal, not to mention the high levels of skin irritation after shaving. All this for something that does not even serve its purpose properly. If you can identify with any of these problems mentioned here, then you probably are in need of some good shaving tips.
An important thing to remember when you shave is that, the best time to do it is after a shower. Do not, under any circumstance, do it immediately after you get up. Give your skin some time to wake up too, and then start the process. Take a look at these tips that will help you get it right.
• Before you begin shaving, ensure that you have allowed the hair on the face to soften. Dampen your face with water, using a face cloth. This way you will be able to get a closer shave.
• Apply a pre-shave oil or lotion for the purpose of keeping the skin moisturized and to avoid a razor burn. Choose from emu oil, or a lotion that has a high amount of aloe in it. Following a regular exfoliation routine to eliminate dead cells is also essential for a good shave.
• Whatever shaving gel or cream you use, apply it with the help of a shaving brush. A small amount on the center of the brush will help you work up a good lather and give you a clean shave.
• Start the process by running your shaving brush around your face in a circular motion. Ensure you have covered all the areas. Wet the brush a little and continue rubbing it in a circular motion, if you run out of lather.
• Always use a sharp razor blade, as a dull one will require more pressure to get rid of facial hair, and ultimately may result in cuts and burns.
• Now, use the razor to remove all the hair, in slow motions, and run the razor in the direction of the hair growth and not against it. If you go against it, it can result in ingrown hair, razor bumps, and cuts.
• However, a second round of shaving, with the razor going against the hair growth can really help reduce the necessity to shave everyday. Just reapply the lather with the shaving brush, and shave so that the razor goes against the direction of hair growth. If possible, use a new blade for this round.
• After every stroke of the razor, keep rinsing it to remove the collected lather and hair. This ensures that the hair on your face is evenly removed.
• Wash all the excess lather from your face, and wipe it clean. Then, apply some moisturizer to soothe the skin. Usually shaving creams have a lot of alcohol content that can irritate the skin. Using a moisturizer will reduce this irritation.
Using an Electric Shaver
Using an electric shaver is not rocket science. In fact it is much simpler, and definitely less messier than the other processes involved in manual shaving. Take a look at these tips to help you get a clean shave with the use of an electric shaver.
• Even when using an electric shaver, you have to dampen your face to start with. Doing so will render the shaving process much simpler.
• An electric shaver usually has a pivoting head, to enable a clean shave. Even so, the amount of pressure and its application will have to be controlled by you. The best way to use an electric shaver is begin with the neck. Then slowly move upwards.
• Like a shaving brush, even an electric shaver should be rotated in a circular motion, but unlike a razor blade, the strokes when using an electric shaver should be quicker.
• The pressure that you apply should be enough to effectively remove the hair. Do not apply too much pressure as it will begin to hurt.
• Hold your skin firmly, so that you attain a clean shave, and get rid of every strand of hair on your face.
• Also, follow the shave with the use of a moisturizer.
Always store the electric shaver after you have emptied it of all the collected hair. Remember to change the blade on the shaver every month, for a smooth shave.
Shaving Tips for Sensitive Skin
Men with sensitive skin can have a hard time dealing with the effects of shaving gel or cream, and razor burn and cuts that are all part of a normal shaving procedure. However, shaving is ultimately essential, and here are some tips that will help.
• A daily routine of moisturizing the face is essential for those with sensitive skin. Moreover, the use of a lotion that contains aloe, or almond oil before a shave can help reduce the irritation caused by the shaving process. Not only that, the razor also smoothly glides over the skin and reduces the possibility of cuts.
• Using a shaving cream that is particularly meant for sensitive skin is helpful. Avoid the use of those that have a high menthol content, as it is known to cause irritation. Also do not use soap instead of shaving cream, as this dries the skin out completely.
• Even though your skin is sensitive, using a sharp razor will definitely reduce the chances of razor burns. As mentioned before, using a blunt razor is more likely to cause this problem.
• Change your razor or the blade after every three shaves, for a clean and smooth shave.
Again, follow up the shaving procedure with the use of a good quality moisturizer or oil for sensitive skin.
Use these tips effectively, and you will be guaranteed a smooth, clean shave for sure. If you really adhere to these measures, chances are, over time you will have to shave less often, and not have to undergo the agony of a daily shaving routine.
Myotcstore Related Categories:Aftershave, Cologne
Hair Remover Products
Razors, Razor Refill Blades
Shaving Creams and Lotions
Shaving Skincare, FirstAid
Trimmers, Scissors, Clippers